Ahhhh Vienna, such a romantic city filled with world class museums, ornate cafes, and whimsical architecture that is simply astonishing. With my 5 places to take pictures in Vienna you will have the perfect backdrop to showcase the city in all your photos!
This article may contain affiliate / compensated links. For full information, please see our disclosure here.
WHERE ARE THE BEST PLACES TO TAKE PICTURES IN VIENNA
1| Karlskirche (St. Charles Church)
St. Charles Church by far defines the beauty of Vienna. In my opinion, it is one of the top photo sites in Vienna for that perfect Instagram photo. The turquoise dome and massive pillars will just make you swoon!
Unless, you wake up early you can pretty you can much find people grazing around all day cause the church’s architecture is stunning.
- Hours: Monday through Saturday from 9AM-6PM. On Sundays, Karskiche open until 7PM.
- Admission: St. Charles Church cost €8, which includes the panoramic lift.
- Directions: To get to Karlskirche hop on the metro and exit Karlsplatz. You won’t be able to miss this church outside of the metro. Immediately you can spot that huge turquoise dome.
2| St. Stephen’s Cathedral
St. Stephen’s Cathedral is one of the best Vienna Instagram spots that can be found in the heart of the city, Stephenplatz. The colossal size of this 137-meter high Gothic church is simply mind blowing. St. Stephen’s Cathedral is Vienna’s most iconic landmark and most visited attractions. The inside is equally stunning as well.
I arrived a few hours before closing and there were hoards of tourists. Literally I was getting pushed through the arched doorway, but crowds pretty much gets dispersed quickly once inside.
The inside of St. Stephen’s Cathedral was busy, but to get one of the best Vienna Instagram photos head to the tower. The towers in Munich and Copenhagen were extremely packed and made it nearly impossible to take a pictures, so I was surprised how it was a little quieter in Vienna.
Like any popular tourists attraction, best time to arrive is early to avoid the crowds.
- Hours: Doors are open everyday from 9AM-5:30PM. Last entry to the towers is 30-minutes prior to closing. Holiday hours vary, so check in advance if visiting then.
- Admission: You can tour the inside of St. Stephen’s Cathedral for free, but it costs for the tower. For a panoramic view of Vienna hit up the tower and. you can reach the top by stairs (343-steps) for €5 or the elevator for €6.
- Directions: You can easily arrive to St. Stephen’s Cathedral by taking the metro and exiting Stephenplatz, the main square in Vienna. Once you exit the metro station you cannot miss this gigantic cathedral!
RELATED POSTS: Top Instagram Spots In Munich
3| Danube Canal Promenade
So, let’s go off the beaten path and see a side of town the locals go the Danube Canal Promenade. This is one of the most unique places to take photos in Vienna. Along the canal walls are graffitied with splashes of various colors from some of Vienna’s most talented locals.
This promenade is a great spot to visit for a quick getaway from the hustle and bustle of the city. Best of all it’s free to stroll and view all the murals while strolling along the canal.
- Hours: 24/7- Just watch out for harsh lighting since it can be the death of your photos.
- Admission: Danube Canal is free to visit and go any time of day you prefer.
- Directions: If you are taking the metro around the city, you can reach the promenade by exiting at the Schwedenplatz Station.
4| Vienna Prater
Vienna Prater is another one of the photo sites in Vienna that is extraordinary and is Vienna’s most famous park! Snap some photos on the 100 year old Viennese Giant Ferris wheel an awesome Vienna Instagram spot to add on your grid.
I found this amusement park to be pretty congested in the afternoon, but I am sure it stays crowded all day. Especially during the winter holiday.
- Hours: Veinna Prater is open Monday to Thursday 12PM-10PM, Fridays 11:30AM-10:30PM, and Saturday 11AM-11PM. Holiday hours may affect opening hours. So check with your concierge if you arrive during the holidays.
- Admission: Prater Vienna is free to walk around! But, if you are looking for a quick thrill on the rides it does cost. You can book your tickets in advance here.
- Directions: Getting to Prater is super easy. Just hop on the metro and exit Prater, it cannot be missed! Lookout for the massive ferris wheel when you leave the station.
RELATED POSTS: Top Copenhagen Places To Take Pictures
5| Metro Train Stations
Alrighty now we’ve reached the last of the photo sites in Vienna. This one may seem a tad bit strange, but an awesome Vienna Instagram spot is the metro station. Vienna’s metro stations are slick, modern, and very colorful.
Before and after working hours expect the metro to be pretty darn packed. Some metro stations will also be a little busier than others. Don’t go to Stephenplatz and expect to get an uninterrupted photo, it is main square! Pick a metro away from touristy hotspots. Some of my favorites were Ottakring and Zieglergasse.
- Hours: No need to arrive super early. Vienna’s subway lines operate 24/7. So if you like one metro station during all your Instagram runs, monitor the stations when the crowds have calmed a little.
- Admission: You do have to buy your metro ticket to get a photo by the metro rails or any signs. I recommend getting a Vienna city card here. You will have access to the metro, trams, buses, and discounts to attractions!
GOT MORE TIME? MORE PLACES TO TAKE PICTURES IN VIENNA
If you’re not pressed for time and happen to have more time in Vienna, here is a list of some other places to take pictures in Vienna.
Vienna Opera House
The Vienna Opera House is probably one of the most popular Vienna Instagram spots. Since I know you’re probably aware of this famous Instagram spot, no need for me to mention it above.
SKY Restaurant & Bar
Sky Restaurant & Bar is a beautiful loungy restaurant and bar located on the top floor of a department store in Stephenplatz. It has one beautiful patio with a breathtaking view St. Stephen’s Cathedral.
I was super excited to sit on the patio, but to be honest the staff was extremely rude and refused to give us a table. Give the lounge a try though, maybe you will have a better experience.
Belvedere Museum is another one of the beautiful places to take pictures in Vienna. It’s a lavish Baroque style palace that would make a stunning background in your photo. Belvedere is also known for its paintings, fountains, and magnificent sculptures.
THAT IS A WRAP ON BEST PLACES TO TAKE PICTURES IN VIENNA
MORE INSTAGRAM SPOTS IN EUROPE
Like this pin about Best Places To Take Pictures In Vienna? Share it with others or pin if for later in your Vienna or Instagram Guide Board!
Jetlagged Roamer is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com, amazon.co.uk, amazon.ca. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.